Sunday, October 5, 2014

Abstract Art Pendant Earrings Tutorial


Last fall, I discovered a love for making jewelry. Seeing that the leaves are changing again, I wanted to use fall colors to make a new set of pendant earrings. These earrings require a few steps so it may not be the best tutorial for impatient people, but I encourage you to check them out anyway!

Materials needed:
   Pendants

  • 12 mm glass cabochons
  • 13 mm pendant tray (I like the gunmetal trays)
  • dimensional glaze or any clear drying glue (I've used Tacky glue, which works fine, but dimensional glaze is less likely to form bubbles or pull away from the glass as it dries.)
  • some type of art or photo. You can use my Abstract Art Technique to have a funkier earring, or print something on card stock. Maybe even try magazine photos!)
  • scissors or X-acto knife
   Wire Designs and Jump Rings
Begin by gluing your glass cabochons to the art/photo of your choosing. I used acrylic paints to make this design. I love the addition of the shimmery gold paint. 


I use a small amount of glue on the cabochon and lightly press it onto the paper. Cut the glued section of paper out and leave to dry for an hour or so. (While you wait, you can begin working on the wire designs.) I cut the section out with an X-acto knife to keep the paper from rippling and pushing the cabochon off as the glue dries. You can use a scissors if you don't mind cutting through potential designs.


Once the glue dries, trim the excess paper from the cabochons with a scissors. Seal the backs with more glaze or glue. You can use an old brush or use the glue bottle's applicator tip to spread the glue. Leave to dry for another hour, or until the glue isn't tacky anymore.


Next, apply more glue/glaze and press the cabochon into the pendant tray. I like to have a little glue squeeze into the gap between the tray wall and the glass. Allow the glass to dry for a little while before assembling the earrings. If you are impatient, you can assemble now--that's what I did, but I don't advise it. 


Repeat this for the second earring. I encourage you to fiddle with different designs. I like to buy the bigger rolls of cheap wire so that I can experiment with different designs and not feel guilty about wasting wire. 

You will also need two jump rings. If you have them on hand, great. Otherwise use the next image to make your own. I used to buy jump rings, but now I make them all as I need them. Basically, just wrap the wire around your round nose pliers until the wire starts to stack, and then cut. 


Now, let's assemble the earrings. Open the ear hook loop with your flat nose and round nose pliers. Place the wire design in the loop, and then close tightly. Open your jump rings the same way, and connect the pendant to the wire design. Assembly is the best part, because it requires the least steps. 


And now you have an awesome pair of earrings! I love the different colors and different designs that can be created by using these materials. Below are two more examples I made. 


Please let me know if you have questions or comments! I hope you give these a try. If you enjoy using the glass cabochons, then check out my refrigerator magnet tutorial!

2 comments: