Tuesday, September 16, 2014

DIY Natural Face Cream

On an okay day, my skin kind of hates me. On a bad day, it really hates me. When I try to make it love me with store bought, chemical filled products, it throws a tantrum. I have learned to adopt the mantra 'be nice to your skin'.

I have very oily skin, so it is never happy when I wash it with harsh cleansers. Non-comodogenic, oil free lotions actually seem to make my face more oily so I stopped using them and opted for natural oils closer to my skin's natural PH. I don't like to mess with my exterior ecosystem. Balance is key.

I wanted a lotion that wouldn't irritate my skin, but I also wanted something that would help with breakouts. BUT just about all face lotions meant for acne or problem skin I have tried burn a little when I first put it on. Not enough to be like 'ow that hurts', but enough to make my anxiety brain kick in and tell me that soon my face will be red and swollen.

Story time: I discovered in eighth grade that I cannot use any product with benzoyl peroxide, because my face will just freak the f*** out. One morning, I woke up with my eye lids swollen shut. They were puffy and red. My entire face was a little itchy and burned a bit. It actually happened to me a couple of times to a lesser degree of severity because I hadn't realized what was happening.  I just kept using various products with either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, because advertisements told me it would make my skin awesome. Lies. Anyway, I developed a sensitivity to a bunch of chemicals, and that's why my anxiety brain kicks into high gear if I so much feel a tingle on my skin after applying any sort of product.

I'm not really sure why cosmetic companies have made us believe that oil is our skin's enemy. Honestly, since I have started to use oils as lotion, my skin seems more balanced. I still have breakouts, of course. I'm not saying this will magically clear up your skin, but I am saying that my skin is happier.

My face cream is really simple. I use two ingredients, grapeseed oil and shea butter. You can add essential oils if you would like, but I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to smells.

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 teaspoon essential oils (optional for fragrance)

Supplies:
- pan
- spoon
- metal or glass bowl (make sure it can safely be heated)
- 4 oz container for final product (mason jar or plastic jar)



 

Fill your pan with about an inch of water and put it on medium heat. Put your oil and butter in your glass or metal bowl and place in the water. Stir occasionally and remove from heat once the mixture is completely melted together. Pour your mixture into your container and allow to cool. If you do want to add a fragrance, add it during the cooling process, but don't use any citrus essential oils because it increases your skin's sensitivity to UV light.


Allow your cream to cool for a few hours. It may look like it isn't setting up, but it will. If you are impatient, you can put it in the refrigerator to accelerate the cooling process. The cream should be soft enough to scoop into your hands easily. A little goes a long way. It may be a little too greasy for you if you're not used to oily skin, so take into account the level of moisture your skin needs before you try this. For me, this is a great base lotion for loose powder mineral foundation.

I also use this recipe for my winter body butter. Since the grapeseed oil is liquid at room temperature, the overall product stays creamy even when my house is only in the 60 degree range. Thanks for checking out this recipe. Let me know if you have any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment