Tuesday, September 23, 2014

DIY Lace Headband


Even though I have the wrong head shape for elastic headbands (if I look up they just slide right off my head), I still like making them. If you are lucky enough to have the "right" shaped head, or the discipline to not move your head too much while wearing a headband, then this may be the project for you!

Supplies Needed:

  • scissors
  • needle and thread
  • 1/2 inch braided elastic 
  • lace
Skills Needed:
  • ability to sew a big mess of stitches with no particular sense of order




I bought about 10 inches of lace from Joann Fabric. I do believe this stuff is meant for wedding dresses because it was around $18 a yard. Use a coupon.  The piece I bought was around $3 after my coupon. The braided elastic was under $2 and you'll have a lot left over for other headbands or random projects.

To start, I stuck the lace on my head to see how big I wanted it and if it was actually going to look good. I mean, you can stick anything on your head, but it doesn't mean you should. Anywho, the lace went from ear to ear and I called it good there. I trimmed the edges of the lace to make sure there weren't sharp angles and then I moved to the elastic.

Depending on how tight you want your headband, you're going to have to take the reigns with how much elastic to cut. I don't know your life...or your head size. But for my head, I lightly stretched the the elastic around the back of my head from ear to ear and that was about 8.5 inches. It's a little tight. I probably should have gone with 9.5 inches, but YOLO. Just kidding. Kind of.



Now, thread your needle. I overlapped the elastic and the lace slightly, with the elastic touching the non-beaded side of the lace. Sew the crap out of it. If you think you sewed it enough, give it a tug. If you hear thread ripping then sew some more! Repeat on the other side of the lace.



And there you have it! If you have questions or anything like that, leave them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment