Monday, September 29, 2014

Simple Hair Flower

A few years ago, I decided to cut all of my hair off and rock a pixie cut, but there was a part of me that thought "I might look like a boy". I figured if I put flowers in my hair then people would be a little less confused about my which gender I identify with. I never really did anything with my hair before that point so I didn't have more than bobby pins and hair binders at home.

As always, I am a cheap shopper and found that most hair accessories in stores are easily made and over priced. Instead of hanging around that aisle, I marched on over to the home decor section to pick out some fake flowers. Why not just glue a bunch of stuff together and stick it on my head? (Little tip: one of the craft stores near me sells bags of miscellaneous flower 'droppings' for a few bucks. Try asking what your local craft store does with the flowers that fall off the branches.)

I picked out some small sprigs of red blossoms that were probably on sale. I wanted flowers that were petite and vibrant. Keep in mind that you will be taking flowers apart so it really doesn't matter what the whole branch looks like. Also, I use fabric flowers so they are less rigid. I want my hair flowers to be soft and able to rustle in a breeze! Psh, rigid flowers. So limiting.

Materials Needed:

  • Fake flower(s)
  • bobby pin(s)
  • button(s)
  • hot glue gun
  • glue sticks
Skills Needed:
  • Ability to work through the pain of hot glue sticking to your fingers. You can do it! 
I thought it would be cute (as a button! ha) to use a button for the center of the flower. I ended up buying a crap ton of buttons when I started making these hair flowers...so many buttons that I need to find more button projects. 

Side note: I am completely aware that when I think "Oh, this is too expensive to buy. I can make it myself!" I actually end up spending way more on materials than if I would have just bought a ready-made product. But where is the fun in that?

Anywho, plug in your hot glue gun and start taking apart your flowers. The flowers usually have a plastic center piece that holds it to the branch. Pop out those pieces and arrange the petals how you like. I chose to use two pieces of petal layers. It just felt like the right thing to do. Use more if you like. Use less if you are feeling the minimalist vibe. I don't judge. 


Squeeze a little glue on the first petal layer and place the second layer on top. A little glue around the center will do. I turn the second layer a bit so the petals match up with the gaps between the first layer's petals. Give the glue a few seconds to cool and then squeeze the layers together. Next, glue the button on.



Lastly, the bobby pin. Squirt some hot glue onto the back of the flower and place the bobby pin. make sure the flat side of the bobby pin is what you are gluing down. Once you place the pin, if metal is sticking out of the glue, squirt some more glue on top so it is completely covered. Now let it cool. There. Wasn't that super simple? Also, I'm quite entertained by the word 'squirt' right now. Just FYI. 


Wow, I have a lot of baby hairs. I've got the hair line of a toddler. On that note, if you have questions or comments please feel free to leave them below. If you also have a lot of baby hairs: *internet high five*! 

No comments:

Post a Comment