Sunday, September 7, 2014

Paint Fight Photos: The Basics


Let me start off by saying that I am not a photographer. I just think this was a cool idea and wanted to help others do the same thing.

Participating in a paint fight for photos is incredibly entertaining. The husband and I never really had engagement or wedding photos done, so when a photographer friend suggested we do something fun with paint, I was pretty excited. I was, of course, nervous how it would turn out, but we had a blast. Now I think everyone should do this!

I was in charge of finding the paints since I know more about that kind of stuff and decided to go with the brightest, non-toxic tempera paint I could find at my local craft store. Pretty much, any kid safe paint will work. It's going to be all over your body and probably get in your eyes (like me) or your mouth (like the husband), so non-toxic is a good idea.

I bought 16 ounce bottles of green, blue, and purple. I think cool colors look better on people with dark hair. Pay attention to the paint colors you choose the same way you pay attention to the colors of your clothes. Which colors look best on you?

Try not to get complementary colors combinations that turn a muddled brown when mixed. So, no yellow and purple, no orange and blue, and no green and red. You could use those colors together if you really want, but maybe keep the colors designated to one person. Say, my favorite color is red and the husband's is green, I would have him throw red at me and I would throw green at him (those aren't actually our favorite colors...just FYI). Just don't throw the complementary colors onto one person unless you like the muddled brownish look.

Think about all of the color run pictures you see these days. How many times do you see people with every color mixed on them where it actually looks good? Not very often, in my experience. Color is good, but all colors mixed together is just a mess.


My local craft store also had these cute paint buckets. I would assume other craft stores have them too. I filled the buckets with the entirety of each bottle of paint and added a little water to each by pouring 1/4c to 1/2c of water into the empty paint bottles and shaking them up to get the excess paint out. The water helps to thin the paint down and make it easier for 'throwing' (think Jackson Pollock) and it helps the paint last a little longer.

The brushes are the cheapest brushes I could find from Menards. I'm sure any hardware store will have brushes like these. I think the biggest one was maybe $.98 and the smallest was $.60. Another good prop to use is a flat white sheet. We just used a twin sheet and it was perfect. You can buy one brand new or go to a thrift shop and get a used one. The thing is going to get destroyed (as you can see below), so don't get too picky.


Most importantly, you've got to find an awesome photographer! Ours was great! Tammy Radeck with P&T Photography does wonderful work. You can see some of it here. I can't wait until she is finished editing so I can put those photos up here, too. For now, I will just show you the aftermath of our photo shoot.


This was a sort of Trash the Dress photo op for me. Yes, this is my wedding dress. *gasp!* How could I not have a sentimental attachment to it? I guess I do in a way. I mean I could get super symbolic and be all like "Me allowing my husband to throw paint on my wedding dress is like me accepting that marriage is messy and we can have fun while making a mess throughout it." (ha, Messy Ever After! Get it!?) Yeah, we will go with that.

Anyway, a note on attire for a paint fight: Obviously, white is a great choice to really show off the paint colors. As you can see below, Jake is sporting a plain white V-neck and denim jeans. He looks unhappy, but really he is just a goof with paint crusting to his arms. The tempera paint dries and get's all tight and flaky. So sexy.


The good thing about tempera is that is washes off pretty easily. I wouldn't expect your clothes to come out looking clean if you throw them in the wash, though. But your skin should come clean just fine. We decided to take a little bucket bath before traipsing into the house. Also, ladies, if you are concerned about your hair, this stuff washed out with one application of shampoo. I had a huge purple streak (see below) where my hair was stiff and crunchy, but it came out without any issues.


My only complaint about the photo shoot was that the mosquitoes decided to feast on me while we were painting away. Tiny little bastards. If you have any questions about the photos let me know, or contact Tammy. Otherwise, stay tuned to see the actual photos when they are ready! Eek! So exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment