Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Floral Headband

This is such a 'springy' headband. I had an abundance of flowers stashed in my container of old hair flower supplies and I thought 'hey, let's make something!'. If you have seen my Simple Hair Flower tutorial, this one starts out the same. The only difference is the headband, really. To be honest, this headband is not my favorite. Probably because it's fall and pink is just not a fall color. Oh well! It was fun to make!

I much prefer metal or plastic headbands to elastic bands. I explained in my Lace Headband tutorial that me and elastic bands just don't go together. Weird shaped head? I don't know. This could be adapted to an elastic headband, but it would require some excessive sewing, but I chose to stick with a simple plastic headband. These actually stay on my head.

Materials Needed:
   headband (I bought a three pack from Target)
   glue gun
   glue sticks
   fake flowers (from home decor)
   buttons (or anything else you prefer)

You could make some fabric flowers out of ribbon or fabric scraps if you can't find any fake flowers you like, but you'll have to guess how to make them since I haven't tried that yet. Someday! I'll keep you posted.


When you find flowers that you like, disassemble them like the third picture. You want each layer to be separated so you can glue them for security.


I wanted to do three flowers. Two flowers consist of two layers and a button center, and one flower consists of three layers and a button center. Start by applying a little bit of glue to the center of your first layer. Let it cool a few seconds and place your second layer on top. I turn the top layer a little so the petals cover the gaps between the first layer's petals. Pinch them together until cool, then add your button.


Repeat this for all of your flowers. Once your flowers are done, it's time to glue them to the headband. Squeeze a generous dollop of glue onto the back center of one of your flowers. I started with one of the two layer flowers.


Place the flower on the headband and give a squeeze. Hold until the glue sets. Next, I placed the second two layer flower. I wanted the two small flowers to be on either side of the larger flower. Lastly, place the third flower. Again, hold it in place until the glue sets.


I think I might set this headband aside until next spring. Or maybe I will go find some festive fall foliage and make another one for this season. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment